Treatment at Garnet Health Stroke Centers
If you experience a stroke, swift care is essential, and response time is of critical importance. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 800,000 people annually will experience a stroke. At Garnet Health, we understand that reducing strokes in Orange and Sullivan counties means providing advanced, evidence-based diagnosis and treatment for stroke. Both of our facilities have been nationally recognized for excellence in stroke care:
- Garnet Health Medical Center is a certified Primary Stroke Center Center by DNV Healthcare. It has also been awarded the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award, and Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus, as well as a recipient of the Healthgrades 2020 Stroke Care Excellence Award™
- Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills has received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus & Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Award.
When our stroke center team learns someone is on route to or arrives at the emergency department with stroke-like symptoms, the team activates a stroke protocol to begin immediate diagnosis and treatment process. In addition, our stroke team is committed to stroke education and prevention to improve the overall health of the Hudson Valley.
Signs of a Stroke
Speed is key to minimizing a stroke’s damage to the brain. When a blockage in an artery or a burst blood vessel prevents oxygen-rich blood from reaching the brain, cells can begin dying within minutes. Call 911 right away if you experience signs of a stroke, which include:
- Difficulty speaking
- Facial drooping
- Intense headache
- Weakness or numbness on one side of your body
The most common type of stroke is an ischemic stroke, which is caused by a blocked artery. For these strokes, Garnet Health Stroke Center doctors expertly administer a drug called tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) that can break up the blood clot causing the obstruction. Receiving this drug within three hours of symptoms’ onset can reduce the risk of long-term brain damage and functional problems.
Stroke Center & Stroke Care Services
Experienced at diagnosing and treating all types of stroke, the Garnet Health Stroke Center team features highly skilled doctors, nurses and technicians who provide a variety of stroke services, starting with a diagnosis. Diagnosing a stroke typically involves physical and neurological exams, as well as medical imaging, such as a CT scan. To treat a stroke, our team may:
- Administer tPA or drugs to lower blood pressure, depending on the type of stroke
- Perform a surgery called carotid endarterectomy to remove a blood clot
- Perform a minimally invasive procedure called transcarotid artery revascularization (TCAR) to filter plaque from the carotid artery and stabilize blood flow by placing a stent
- Perform surgery to close a burst blood vessel
Why Choose Garnet Health for Stroke Treatment?
At Garnet Health, stroke care doesn’t end after treatment. Our rehabilitation department offers you specially tailored physical therapies to accelerate recovery, and our behavioral health staff is on standby to support you. Before going home from the hospital, you’ll receive information about healthy changes to make to your lifestyle to help prevent additional strokes. The Stroke Center team will also schedule a follow-up visit for you.
Doctors and researchers continue to learn more about the best ways to diagnose and treat stroke. The Garnet Health Stroke Center team is on the leading edge of advanced treatments so it can provide you the highest quality care. For those reasons, Garnet Health Stroke Centers received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®–Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite recognition.
Stroke Care When & Where You Need It
When every second matters, you can trust the stroke experts at Garnet Health to deliver quick, effective and compassionate care.
For residents of Middletown, Harris and Callicoon, Garnet Health provides expert, timely stroke care in Orange and Sullivan Counties, NY.