Endometriosis is abnormal tissue growth that can impair fertility. It affects more than 11% of American women between the ages of 15 and 44. At Garnet Health, we know that your experience is more than just a statistic. Your story is unique. Our women’s health specialists offer a skilled, compassionate approach to endometriosis treatment in the Orange and Sullivan County, NY, area, helping women find the support they need in a warm, healing environment.
Endometriosis is a common and often painful women’s health condition that happens when endometrial tissue grows outside of the uterine walls, lining the ovaries, fallopian tubes and the tissue along the pelvis. The result of this growth is similar to what occurs during a menstrual cycle: The endometrial tissue growing outside of the uterus thickens and breaks down, but since this broken-down tissue has nowhere to escape to outside the uterus, it becomes trapped. That causes irritation and painful scar tissue and/or adhesions.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact our Women’s Health Department
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Endometriosis Symptoms & Treatment
Pelvic and abdominal pain are the most common symptoms of endometriosis, but they’re not always a telltale sign of this condition. Some women don’t feel pain. Other symptoms include:
- Bleeding or spotting between menstrual cycles
- Digestive problems
The cause of endometriosis is unknown, but some possible causes are:
- Hormones (high estrogen levels have been linked to this condition)
- Risks post-surgery to the abdominal area
- A faulty immune system
- Genetic factors
- Retrograde menstrual flow
There is no cure for endometriosis, but there treatments for its symptoms, which may include:
- Hormonal treatment (such as hormonal birth control) for women with mild pain.
- Surgery to remove endometriosis patches for women with severe symptoms and pain. We offer minimally invasive gynecological procedures utilizing our da Vinci robotic surgery system.
- Pain medications for mild symptoms.
- Complementary and alternative medicines (CAM) such as acupuncture.
When searching for women’s care specialists in the Orange County, NY, area, turn to Garnet Health.