Uterine Fibroid Treatment at Garnet Health
Uterine fibroids are common muscular tumors that grow in the wall of your uterus. Most fibroids are benign (not cancerous) and many women don’t experience symptoms. Regular pelvic exams enable you to monitor your health and identify these growths. Garnet Health doctors are deeply experienced in managing these conditions, as well as others.
You may be a superwoman or supermom, but when it comes to ensuring that your health is protected, partner with the women’s health specialists at Garnet Health. We offer exceptional healthcare services throughout Orange and Sullivan Counties. From regular pelvic exams to screenings and imaging, our dedicated experts approach women’s health services with sensitivity — ensuring you benefit from comprehensive care in a warm, healing environment.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact our Women’s Health Department
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Uterine Fibroid Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Most uterine fibroids go unnoticed without examination. Possible uterine fibroid symptoms may include:
- Pelvic or abdominal pain
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Frequent urination (caused by fibroids putting pressure on your bladder)
- Backache or leg pain
- Extreme abdominal bloating
Many symptoms are influenced by the location, size and number of fibroids.
The cause of uterine fibroids is unknown, but some contributing factors include:
- Hormonal imbalances (particularly estrogen and progesterone levels)
- A genetic predisposition
Due to the hormonal link, uterine fibroids also grow rapidly during pregnancy.
If you have fibroid symptoms, treatments that can help you manage your discomfort and pain include:
- Medications. Mild symptoms can be treated with over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Some contraceptive medications can be prescribed to control heavy bleeding from fibroids. Other drugs used to treat fibroids include gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists (GnRHa), which can help shrink the size of fibroids for temporary relief.
- Surgery. If you have severe symptoms, consult with your Garnet Health doctor regarding surgical solutions that remove fibroids.
Whether you’re experiencing severe pain or need to schedule a regular examination, Garnet Health’s skilled, experienced OB/GYN team is available to help you receive the women’s health services you need. We’ll work together, and with you, to help you find a support group and/or treatment plan that centers around your healthcare goals while compassionately and expertly addressing your concerns.
Searching for women’s care specialists in Orange and Sullivan County, NY? Turn to Garnet Health.