April is Donate Life Month
March 30, 2023
Each April, Donate Life America (DLA) leads National Donate Life Month (NDLM), an observance focusing national attention on the need and importance of organ, eye and tissue donation. NDLM is about the importance of registering your decision to be a donor, honoring both deceased and living donors, and celebrating the lives they saved. It is the generosity of donors and their families that makes saving lives through transplantation possible.
More than 8,500 New Yorkers are currently waiting for a lifesaving transplant. By registering as an eye, organ and tissue donor, you can join the 170-plus million people who have registered to be a donor and help others at the end of their life.
Garnet Health encourages you to visit the Donate Life New York website, which offers these simple ways you can help spread the word about organ donation:
- Tell friends and family they can enroll online in the New York State Donate Life Registry.
- Help raise critical funds by making a financial contribution or holding a fundraiser benefiting Donate Life New York State.
- Follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn. Share their posts through your own social media.
- Get the facts about organ and tissue donation, and share them with your family, friends and colleagues.
- Share Stories of Hope or tell them how your life has been touched by organ and tissue donation.
You can also show your support by participating in one of the following events taking place throughout the month:
- Donate Life Living Donor Day—April 5, 2023
Celebrate the lifesaving generosity of living donors and learn more about living donation.
- Blue & Green Spirit Week—April 8–14, 2023
The week leading up to National Donate Life Blue & Green Day has themed days focused on appreciation, outreach and education. Download the full week calendar.
- National Donate Life Blue & Green Day—April 14, 2023
On Donate Life Blue & Green Day, everyone is invited to show their blue and green colors in support of the Donate Life message and mission - and join the National Donate Life Blue & Green Day Photo Contest!
- National Pediatric Transplant Week—April 23–29, 2023
The last full week of NDLM is dedicated to kids. National Pediatric Transplant Week (NPTW) focuses on ending the pediatric transplant waiting list.
Garnet Health staff celebrate the lives saved through organ donation and honors the families who grieve for their loved ones as we thank them for their selfless decision to be an organ donor. We hope these ideas inspire you to learn more, share stories and register yourself and your family members as organ donors today. To get started, register here.