Are You at Risk for Diabetes?
Garnet Health has adopted the CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program, which offers a scientifically-proven and effective lifestyle enhancement program that can help prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one out of three American adults has prediabetes – and most do not know it.
What is prediabetes?
Having prediabetes means your blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
Without maintaining a healthy diet, weight loss or moderate physical activity, many people with prediabetes can develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
You may have prediabetes and be at risk for type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
This program is proven to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes while decreasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half. The 12-month program is designed to teach individuals how to:
- Make better food choices
- Increase physical activity
- Provide helpful ways to cope with problems and stress
Qualified participants will work together to achieve their goals, under the guidance of our certified lifestyle coaches.
If you have prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes, it’s time to take charge of your health. Our Diabetes Prevention Program can help you make lasting changes to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Within Our Program, you will receive:
- A CDC-approved curriculum
- The skills you need to lose weight, be more physically active, and manage stress
- A trained lifestyle coach to guide and encourage you
- Support from other participants with the same goals as you
- A year-long program with 16 sessions taking place about once a week and six to eight more sessions meeting once a month
Understanding this disease, its symptoms, risks and ways to treat, can allow diabetes patients of all ages to seek the treatment they need, be diagnosed, and live long and healthy lifestyles.
Our Diabetes Prevention Program is offered to eligible individuals with prediabetes. To be eligible for our program, participants must;
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Be overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥23 if Asian). Calculate Your BMI
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and
- Must have either:
- A blood test result in the prediabetes range within the past year:Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4% or
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL or
- Be previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes OR 2) Have a positive screening for prediabetes based upon the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
To learn more about our Diabetes Prevention Program or to sign up to join, please call Garnet Health Medical Center Diabetes Center at 845-333-2711.
68 Harris Bushville Road
Harris, NY 12742
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940