Diabetes Care at Garnet Health
Diabetes and prediabetes symptoms, such as increased fatigue or changes in appetite, can be attributed to a variety of conditions. At Garnet Health, our integrated approach to care enables us to identify diabetes early and create personalized treatment and management plans to help you live a healthier life.
Diabetes Treatment Centers
Our comprehensive diabetes management and education programs in Orange and Sullivan counties provide you the long-term support you need, close to home.
Types of Diabetes We Treat
Diabetes occurs when the body does not use or produce insulin properly. The condition requires tailored care to optimize your quality of life. At Garnet Health, we provide individualized treatment for different types of diabetes, including:
- Type 1 diabetes – Typically developed during childhood and early adulthood, Type 1 diabetes occurs when your body produces no insulin or not enough, requiring daily insulin shots to supplement the levels in your body.
- Type 2 diabetes – Caused by an inability to utilize available insulin, Type 2 diabetes makes up nearly 90% of all diabetes cases. It commonly develops during adulthood but can affect children as young as 10 years old. Type 2 diabetes can sometimes be managed with lifestyle changes.
- Gestational diabetes – This type of diabetes affects pregnant women and often resolves on its own after childbirth. However, it may cause complications for mother and child, and both are at increased risk for Type 2 diabetes later in life.
- Prediabetes – When blood sugar levels are above normal but not high enough to be considered Type 2 diabetes, you may have prediabetes. A diagnosis of prediabetes allows our specialists to intervene before you progress to diabetes.
Diabetes Management & Support
The Stanley S. Dunkelman, M.D. Diabetes Treatment Center & nutrition counseling at Garnet Health Medical Center in Middletown have been accredited by the American Diabetes Association since 1998 for excellent, full-spectrum diabetes care. Our network of doctors and specialists at Garnet Health will patiently and expertly provide blood sugar testing, medication and other treatment options, and our podiatry and wound care experts are on standby if it becomes necessary to treat diabetic ulcers or nerve damage to your feet.
Our care for those with diabetes goes beyond the hospital setting. We know there is no “one-size-fits-all” approach to diabetes management, so we provide regular educational opportunities that are open to the public. Additionally, we provide prediabetes screenings to the community, free of charge.
For those diagnosed with prediabetes, our diabetes prevention program educates you about healthy lifestyle changes related to diet and exercise and connects you with behavioral health support to prevent a future diabetes diagnosis. Lasting 12 months, this curriculum, approved by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, helps you manage diabetes and stress in a single, inclusive program.
Multiple support groups are available for those with diabetes and their families, including:
- A Type 1 diabetes support group for women
- “Diabuddies,” which is specifically tailored to young adults with Type 1 diabetes
- “Sweet Talk” Pediatric Diabetes Support Group for families
Extensive & Compassionate Diabetes Care
Do you suspect you may have diabetes or are at risk for diabetes? Are you currently managing your diabetes and looking for additional support? Learn about our upcoming education and screening opportunities by calling our diabetes treatment centers at:
- Garnet Health Medical Center: 845-333-2711
- Garnet Health Medical Center - Catskills: 845-794-3300, extension 2106
Garnet Health provides expert diabetes care in Orange and Sullivan counties, serving Middletown, Harris and Callicoon, NY, and the surrounding communities.
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940