Financial Assistance Options
At Garnet Health, our goal is to provide quality care and services to our patients. We seek to provide healthcare to everyone regardless of ability to pay. That is why we provide patients with the opportunity to quality for our Financial Aid Program whether you are uninsured or underinsured.
- We provide a Self Pay Discount for uninsured patients. We automatically reduce charges for all uninsured patients for medically necessary services.
- Garnet Health will not charge patients eligible for its Charity Care program more than amounts generally billed (AGB), to individuals who have insurance for emergency or other medically necessary care. For all other care, an eligible individual may not be charged more than Hospital’s gross charges. The Hospital calculates the AGB using the lookback method, and bases that rate on Traditional Medicare fee-for-service and all private health insurers paying claims to the hospitals.
- We apply patients for Medicaid, if qualified, based on Department of Social Services guidelines.
- Our Financial Aid Program, based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines, is available to all patients that qualify. Patients with income up to 350 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines can be eligible to receive assistance with their bill based on our fee schedule.
- Patients who cannot pay their entire bill immediately can request a monthly payment arrangement.
|% Above Federal Poverty Level (FPL)||1 person Family Unit (FU)||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons||5 persons||6 persons||7 persons||8 persons||Discount of Patient Responsibility|
|At Federal Poverty Level (FPL)||$13,950||$18,310||$23,030||$27,750||$32,470||$37,190||$41,910||$46,630||100% discount|
|200% Above FPL||$27,180||$36,620||$46,060||$55,500||$64,940||$74,380||$83,820||$93,260||100% discount|
|250% Above FPL||$33,975||$45,755||$57,575||$69,375||$81,175||$92,975||$104,755||$116,575||75% discount|
|300% Above FPL||$40,770||$54,930||$69,090||$83,250||$97,410||$111,570||$125,730||$139,890||50% discount|
|350% Above FPL||$47,565||$64,085||$80,605||$97,125||$113,645||$130,165||$146,685||$163,205||25% discount|
Gross Income of individual or family used.
(Note: An ARIA-accessible table is present in the code of this page for partially sighted users).
Financial Assistance Policies
For individuals looking to apply for financial assistance, please review the following policies:
- Financial Assistance Summary
- Financial Assistance Summary - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Policy
- Financial Assistance Policy - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Application
- Financial Assistance Application - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Application Cover Letter
- Financial Assistance Application Cover Letter - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Determination Notice
- Financial Assistance Determination Notice - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Appeal Form
- Financial Assistance Appeal Form - Spanish
- Financial Assistance Denial Letter
- Financial Assistance Denial Letter - Spanish
- 2022 Sliding Scale
- Financial Assistance - Participating Providers
- Billing and Collection Policy
- Billing and Collection Policy - Spanish
- Collection Agency Referral Policy
- Collection Agency Referral Policy - Spanish
How to Apply
We try to make the application process as easy and convenient as possible. Patients can download the application, complete and mail it to us with the required documentation.
Or you can call us and one of our representatives will send it by mail. Please be sure to enclose all requested income information before mailing your application. Your application will not be processed without the required information.
Please mail to:
Garnet Health Medical Center
Financial Advocate Office
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940
For Customer Service in the Billing Office, the hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you have questions regarding your bill, please contact us:
Garnet Health Medical Center - Catskills
- Financial Advocates: 845-794-3300, ext. 2430.
- For the Billing Office: 845-794-3300, ext. 2590.
Garnet Health Medical Center
- Financial Advocates: 845-333-1888.
- For the Billing Office: 845-333-2455.
The Financial Advocate Office helps patients obtain financial aid or apply for Medicaid and can assist in verification of insurance coverage and pre-certification. They are a resource for helping coordinate payments for procedures.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ’S)
What do the charges on my bill consist of?
The bill charges are based on the hospitals’ costs to provide services. These costs include, but are not limited to:
- Labor – hospital staff
- 24 hour services
- Medical supplies
- Medical equipment
- Hospital utilities
- Patient dietary and laundry services
What services are not covered by the Financial Aid Program?
Any service not provided by the hospital and/or people directly in the hospitals employ may not be covered. So if you are treated by a physician working at the hospital, but who is not a salaried employee of the hospital, the physician may bill you separately for the physician's services. Other costs not covered would include things like filling a prescription at a non-hospital pharmacy. Also, medical services that are entirely optional, such as purely cosmetic surgery, are not covered by this law.
Can I apply for the Financial Aid Program if I am covered by insurance?
Yes. The Financial Aid Program is also available to those who have a responsibility after their insurance is billed.
What if I do not qualify for the Financial Aid Program and cannot pay the entire bill at once?
You can call the Credit Department at 845-333-2455 and request to be placed on a monthly payment arrangement plan.
How can I find out if I live in a hospital's "primary service area"?
To find hospitals whose primary service areas cover your county visit the Department of Health New York State Profile website.