Bariatric Surgery at Garnet Health
At Garnet Health, we know that a considering weight loss surgery can be a life-changing decision. Our experienced weight loss team can give you the information you need to move forward and the pre- and post-surgical support that will help you be as successful as possible in your weight-loss journey. In addition, Garnet Health is conveniently located close to home in Orange and Sullivan Counties.
Do You Qualify for Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is just one step toward weight loss. Long-term lifestyle changes, such as eating and steps to maintain your weight loss after bariatric surgery are important as well. Garnet Health will be at your side on this journey. You may qualify for bariatric surgery if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have a body mass index (BMI, a measure of your weight compared with your height) of 40 or higher
- Have a BMI of 35 or higher and at least one obesity-related condition, such as Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea or heart disease
- Have not been diagnosed with an eating disorder, such as bulimia
- Have tried and failed to lose weight without surgery for at least five years
Types of Bariatric Surgery We Offer
There are different types of bariatric surgery. All are designed to physically alter aspects of your digestive system to make it easier for you to manage your weight. At Garnet Health, we offer the following surgeries:
- Gastric Bypass – Your surgeon realigns your stomach and small intestine, reducing the size of your stomach and limiting your body’s ability to absorb calories.
- Gastric Banding – Your surgeon will place an inflatable, adjustable band around the upper part of your stomach to help control your food intake.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy – This procedure removes approximately 75% of the stomach. Not only does it help you eat less, but it also reduces your body’s production of hunger hormones.
Garnet Health wants to make sure your weight loss surgery is as successful as possible. Before surgery, you will meet with a dietitian to go over the bariatric surgery diet you will need to follow. You also will meet with a behavioral health specialist, who will help you identify psychological stressors that might interfere with your long-term success and make sure you have the support you need to maintain your plan after surgery.
After surgery, you will continue to have access to bariatric surgery support groups so you can share experiences with others who have been through bariatric surgery. You will also continue to meet with your surgeon, who will monitor you for any potential side effects of weight loss surgery.
Why Choose Garnet Health for Your Bariatric Surgery?
Choosing bariatric surgery for weight loss is life-changing. At Garnet Health, we provide multiple pre- and post-operative educational opportunities, such as a bariatric surgery pre-op class that gets you prepared for your upcoming surgery. We also offer a bariatric surgery seminar to help you determine your needs. And our support team is available to answer your questions.
Additionally, the Garnet Health team performs bariatric surgeries laparoscopically. This minimally invasive procedure uses advanced technology that provides a faster recovery and less scarring. Our experienced surgeons are highly skilled in both traditional bariatric surgery options and robotic surgery for bariatrics to provide you with choices that are most appropriate for your care.
Is Bariatric Surgery Right for You?
Want to know more about your bariatric surgery options? Speak with a Garnet Health weight loss expert by calling 845-333-2123.
If you are looking for bariatric surgery care in Orange and Sullivan counties, Garnet Health is here to help in Middletown, Harris and Callicoon, NY.