Weight-loss & Obesity Medicine Management
The Weight-loss & Obesity Medicine Management (OMM) program at Garnet Health Medical Center is called A Healthy Weigh. It offers our patients a multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to weight loss that involves non-surgical techniques only to help you achieve a healthy body weight.Call to Learn More: (845) 333-2123
Weight-loss & Obesity Medicine Management at Garnet Health
Obesity is a chronic disease which often requires a skilled clinical team to assist the patient in achieving and maintaining weight loss and significant improvement or resolution of co-morbidities, resulting in an increase in longevity and substantial improvement in overall quality of life. Our team consists of:
- The Obesity Medicine Director Physician
- Your Primary Care or Specialty Provider
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs)
- Behavioral Health Specialists
- Lifestyle coach and/or a Certified Exercise Instructor or Physical Therapist, if necessary
Together, we work as a team to help you make dietary and lifestyle changes that will improve your health and wellbeing.
A Healthy Weigh Program Eligibility
Who qualifies to be eligible for this program?
*Anyone with a qualifying Body Mass Index (BMI) (see chart below) that is ready and motivated to make lifestyle changes required for weight loss. It is not required to have any co-morbid conditions depending on BMI to qualify for A Healthy Weigh.
**Examples of Co-morbid conditions; i.e., Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, hyperlipidemia, etc.
While a BMI of 40 or greater qualifies for bariatric surgery without any comorbidities, if a patient would prefer to attempt weight loss through non-surgical methods, they can also be referred to “A Healthy Weigh.”
BMI For Adults
Is there anyone that is not eligible for this program?
Yes. The following circumstances indicate those that are not viable for weight loss therapy:
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Persons with serious uncontrolled psychiatric illness such as major depression/bipolar disorder
- Persons with serious illnesses for whom caloric restriction might exacerbate illness; i.e. cancer, liver cirrhosis, hepatitis C, or chronic kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Persons with active substance abuse; i.e. alcohol or drug abuse
- Persons with an active eating disorder; i.e. anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa
How to Get Started with A Healthy Weigh
The first step is getting a referral from your primary or specialty care physician, a hospitalist, or bariatric surgeon to participate in the OMM program. A pre-authorization will be done with your insurance company to determine coverage and costs. Once you are referred to the program, an initial comprehensive medical exam will be scheduled. The evaluation and ongoing support provided in the program will involve assessment and treatment for complications related to obesity, including:
- Laboratory testing
- Frequent 1:1 nutritional counseling with Registered Dietitian Nutritionists
- Body composition analysis
- Recording dietary intake using an app or a journal
- Support group attendance
- Behavioral and lifestyle counseling
What is body composition analysis and why is it an effective tool for weight management?
At the initial visit with the Registered Dietitian, you will have your body composition analyzed through the use of our InBody machine. Measuring body composition is essential to understand your physiological makeup, to help guide targeted therapies for weight loss, and to track improvements in your health besides just a number on the scale. InBody devices are non-invasive, quick, and convenient making it an ideal tool to use. In less than 60 seconds, you will be provided with easy to understand, accurate and objective measurements to evaluate your health risks and monitor progress. Regular follow ups will be scheduled to re-check body composition to assess muscle-fat balance, fluid imbalances, and other changes to determine the efficacy of treatments and recommendations.
No matter where you are in your weight loss journey, Garnet Health can help guide your next steps. Unsure if A Healthy Weigh or bariatric surgery are right for you? Call us today at 845-333-2123 and talk to our compassionate weight loss experts.