Spine Surgery & Procedures
Garnet Health offers spine surgery & procedures for patients in Orange County, Sullivan County and nearby communities.Find a Provider/locations Search Locations
Spine Surgery & Procedures at Garnet Health
Our expert team of neurosurgeons perform a variety of minimally invasive spinal procedures including:
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar microdiscectomy
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar fusions for both degenerative and traumatic conditions
- Oncologic spine surgery
- Stereotactic computer navigated spinal surgery
- Advanced traumatic spinal injury care
Many people think of neurosurgeons as "brain surgeons," but in fact, the majority of operations most neurosurgeons perform are on the spine. No one has more training to perform spinal surgery than a neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeons complete a six or seven year residency after medical school, including advanced training in spinal surgery. After a period of practice, a neurosurgeon is eligible to take an oral examination for Board certification by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Common Spine Procedures
Our expert team performs a variety of orthopedic spine procedures. Below lists out some of the most common procedures performed at Garnet Health Medical Center.
- Discectomy - This procedure involves the removal of a herniated disc (or a fragment of a herniated disc) to relieve pressure on a nerve. Though typically done as an "open discectomy," the minimally invasive techniques available at Garnet Health allows our surgeons to perform microdiscectomies utilizing special retractors, instruments and an operating microscope.
- Kyphoplasty - Used to treat vertebral fractures resulting from osteoporosis, cancer or multiple myeloma, kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive surgical procedure available at Garnet Health that uses an inflatable bone tamp to reduce these fractures and help them heal.
- Neurosurgery - focused on treating the central nervous system, peripheral nervous systems and spinal column diseases amenable to surgical intervention.
- Interspinous Spacers - minimally invasive treatment of spinal stenosis, as well as several other common spinal disorders. These implants often allow for a shorter operation (with shorter duration of general anesthesia) than conventional techniques.
- Spine Fusion - performed to link together two or more vertebrae – restricting the motion in that portion of the spine in an effort to eliminate the source of back problems.
- Laminectomy - this procedure involves removing arthritic bone spurs and other material in an effort to relieve pressure on the spinal nerve – usually to address symptoms of spinal stenosis.
- Oncologic Spine Surgery - our neurosurgical experts work closely with our outstanding team of medical oncologists and radiation oncologists, to coordinate every aspect of your care.
- Spine Trauma Surgery - specialized care for traumatic injury to the spine and the spinal cord. Our neurosurgeons provide care to traumatic injuries of the spine which include fractures, dislocations, disc herniations, spinal cord injuries and spinal hematoma.
Diagnostic imaging techniques are typically utilized to effectively evaluate and diagnosis your specific condition or injury and determine your treatment needs.Learn more
After injury or a surgery, patients must re-engage nerves and relearn what was once automatic. We offer a comprehensive range of high-quality services and state-of-the-art rehabilitation equipment.Learn more
"I trusted Dr. Oppenheim. He came in the room confident, knowing what was going to happen. He’s told me he’s done this a thousand times before."- Melissa, Spine Patient at Garnet Health Medical Center. View Story
Bone & Joint Center at Garnet Health Medical Center
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940