Prostate Biopsy Diagnostic Services
Garnet Health Medical Center offers innovative technology that has significant improvements over Transrectal ulstrasound (TRUS) biopsies and enhances our ability to diagnose and treat prostate cancer. The UroNav Fusion Biopsy System combines magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with ultrasound to produce 3-D, real-time images of the prostate. This improved imaging prevents the biopsy needle from missing the tumor and provides the most accurate results.
The biopsy system combines electromagnetic tracking and navigation, similar to a GPS navigation system, with an onboard computer and a real-time imaging interface in one easy-to-use, mobile workstation. A small, localized electromagnetic field is generated and used in conjunction with a navigation sensor mounted to the existing ultrasound transducer.
The physician positions the navigation system above the patient and can utilize UroNav’s guided workflow. This workflow follows the same Transrectal Ulstrasound (TRUS) biopsy procedure urologists already use which is used to produce detailed images of the prostate gland and surrounding tissues.
Benefits of UroNav include:
- A 3-D view of the prostate, clarity that is otherwise unavailable – reducing the risk of overlooking a tumor
- Improved diagnosis accuracy, which leads to better treatment options and outcomes
- Incorporation of a GPS-like system to guide the biopsy needle to suspicious areas
- Reduces the number of tissue samples taken from the prostate
- Reduces discomfort and gives peace of mind for patient
- Targeted biopsies help to eliminate the need for multiple, random (or blind) biopsies
- Targeted biopsies may help to detect aggressive tumors that could have been missed with a blind biopsy
Receiving Test Results
Once images are taken, they are immediately available for review by your doctor through our secure Web viewer. Test results are delivered electronically via our GE IntegradWeb Picture Archive Computer System (PACS) to aid in fast diagnosis. To request a copy of your diagnostic imaging exam, call us at: 845-333-1222
You may also login to your MyChart account to view your results.