Beginning Wednesday, March 10, 2021, Garnet Health will offer a free, 12-month virtual Diabetes Prevention Program for qualified participants. Sessions will be held on Wednesdays from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
This scientifically-proven and effective lifestyle-enhancement program can help prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes. It is designed to teach individuals how to make better food choices, increase physical activity and provide helpful ways to cope with related issues and stress. Qualified participants will work together to achieve their goals, under the guidance of our certified lifestyle coaches.
“One in three American adults has pre-diabetes, so the need for prevention has never been greater,” Jennifer Lansiquot, Community Health Coordinator for Garnet Health. “The Prevent T2 program at Garnet Health offers help to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes through modest lifestyle changes made with the support of a coach and one’s peers.”
This program will motivate and support people with pre-diabetes to make practical, real-life changes while decreasing the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by more than half.
The criteria for participation in the Diabetes Prevention Program includes:
- A positive screening for prediabetes based on the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
- Must be at least 18-years-old
- Must be overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥23 if Asian)
- Must have NO previous diagnosis of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- Must have a blood test result in the pre-diabetes range within the past year:
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL
- A History of diagnosed gestational diabetes during a previous pregnancy
To learn more about the Garnet Health’s Diabetes Prevention Program, please call 845-794-3300 ext. 2727 or visit www.garnethealth.org/preventdiabetes