Beginning the week of Monday, September 27th, Garnet Health will be offering a free, 12-month virtual Diabetes Prevention Program for qualified participants. Sessions will be held on Mondays from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays from 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
This scientifically-proven and effective lifestyle-enhancement program can help prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes. It is designed to teach individuals how to make better food choices, increase physical activity and provide helpful ways to cope with related issues and stress. Qualified participants will work together to achieve their goals, under the guidance of our certified lifestyle coaches.
“One in three American adults has prediabetes, so the need for prevention has never been greater,” Shelly DeHaan, MPA, RD, CDCES, CDN, CDTC, Director, Diabetes and Nutrition Counseling Services, Garnet Health, “The PreventT2 program at Garnet Health offers a proven approach to preventing or delaying the onset of Type 2 diabetes through modest lifestyle changes made with the support of a coach and one’s peers.”
This program is proven to motivate and support people with pre-diabetes to make practical, real-life changes while decreasing the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by more than half.
One in three people qualify to participate in the program. The criteria for entry into the Diabetes Prevention Program includes:
- A positive screening for prediabetes based on the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
- Being at least 18 –years- old
- Being overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥23 if Asian)
- Having NO previous diagnosis of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- Having a blood test result in the pre-diabetes range within the past year:
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL
- History of diagnosed gestational diabetes during a previous pregnancy
To learn more about the Garnet Health Diabetes Prevention Program or to see if you qualify to participate, please call 845-333-2711 or visit www.garnethealth.org/preventdiabetes