Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Program for Breast Cancer
Garnet Health Medical Center’s Spagnoli Family Cancer Center Risk Assessment Program was developed to assist patients determine their risk of getting cancer. Our skilled clinical team utilizes risk assessment tools, diagnostic results and genetic testing to deliver a personalized risk reduction plan. This plan educates patients on predisposition to cancer and outlines ways cancer risk can be reduced.
Risk Reduction Plans For Women at High-Risk For Breast Cancer
Our Ray W. Moody, M.D. Breast Center is a nationally accredited program, dedicated to helping individuals attain optimal breast health, diagnose and treat breast cancer and identify those who are at high-risk for developing breast cancer.
While routine breast exams and mammograms are necessary to identify possible breast cancer in its early stages, research has shown that some women are at higher risk for developing breast cancer based on several factors.
Characteristics of High-Risk Women
All women, especially those over 50, are at risk for developing breast cancer. However, a woman can be at an even higher risk if there are additional personal or family risk factors.
The following characteristics may indicate a high risk for developing breast cancer.
- Prior history of cancer, especially breast cancer
- A history of abnormal breast biopsy such as Lobular Carcinoma in Situ (LCIS), Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia (ALH) or Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH)
- Multiple family members with breast and/or other types of cancer
- A first-degree relative with a diagnosis of breast and/or other cancer at a young age
- A known inherited genetic mutation for cancer
- History of chest radiation, such as in Hodgkin’s Disease
- Risk score of >20% on a risk assessment scale
Through a consultation with one of our expert physicians, we offer a Risk Assessment Program. We then create a personalized and customized risk reduction plan based on each woman’s unique combination of factors.
If you are concerned about your genetic predisposition to cancer, we encourage you to talk with your doctor. You may also consider reaching out to a cancer genetic counselor.
View New York State Cancer Genetic Counselors
Throughout the year, we offer several free cancer screenings and assessments to the community including, screenings for prostate, skin, breast and oral cancers.
Your Customized Risk Assessment Program
The Ray W. Moody, M.D. Breast Center takes a multidisciplinary approach to assessing high-risk breast cancer patients. Our team is experienced in working together to develop comprehensive, personalized plans for reducing your breast cancer risk. Our collaborative method helps expedite and coordinate treatment and assists in securing necessary referrals.
Dependent upon your risk factors, your customized program may include:
- A medical consultation
- Clinical breast exam, which includes breast health education and self-breast exam instruction
- A comprehensive Risk Assessment
- Screenings, tests, and options for prevention customized to your level of risk
- Follow-up surveillance exams and coordination utilizing state-of-the-art breast imaging
- Specialized Breast Patient Navigation Services
- Nutrition and lifestyle counseling
- Support programs to address the physical and emotional needs of individuals living with breast cancer risk
Our breast specialists combine the latest medical and scientific knowledge with the most advanced surveillance and diagnostic methods.
For more information or to schedule your preliminary consultation with our breast specialist, please contact us at 845-333-7040.
Our team’s education, clinical and personal experiences, along with state-of-the-art technology, enables our Risk Assessment Program to provide compassionate, specialized, and optimal care to our patients.