Trauma Center at Garnet Health
Garnet Health Medical Center's Trauma services are in-house and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days out of the year to treat the most severely injured patients. Led by our Trauma and Surgical ICU Medical Director, Douglas James, MD, the trauma team consists of experienced physicians, advance practice providers and ancillary staff, who are highly skilled in the care of injured patients.
Verified Level II Adult Trauma Center
Garnet Health Medical Center is verified as a Level II Adult Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Garnet Health Medical Center joins and elite group of hospitals in New York State who offer this high level of emergent care and is the first Level II Adult Trauma Center in Orange County. Advancing trauma care is significant and Garnet Health Medical Center is continuing to grow to support this service.
We are committed to providing our patients with exceptional care through the continuum from Outpatient, Emergency Department, and Rehabilitation services -- with the goal of returning the patient to their pre-injury level of function and restoring them to a high quality of living.
From your arrival to our Trauma Center to follow-up visits and rehabilitation, our highly experienced clinical staff members are trained to triage the individual healthcare needs of every patient and provide comprehensive, coordinated care, including but not limited to:
- Trauma Neurosurgery - Many trauma patients suffer damage to the brain or spine and require the type of highly specialized care. From mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries, the neurosurgery and trauma teams at Garnet Health Medical Center work together to develop evidence-based protocols which insure that the care our patients receive conforms with the most current guidelines. While many patients with trauma to the brain or spine can be treated without surgery, our neurosurgeons are available 24/7 for emergent intervention.
- Trauma Rehabilitation - Our rehabilitation trauma team includes Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Pathology for patients following injury or trauma based on the needs and goals of each patient. Our mission is to provide exceptional care in a healing environment. The rehabilitation professionals work as part of the trauma team to assess the needs of each patient, establish individualized goals, and implement a treatment plan to facilitate a rapid recovery. We aid in ensuring patients can return home or prepare patients and caregivers for further rehabilitation as needed.
- Trauma Orthopedics - The Orthopedic Trauma service at Garnet Health provides emergent and non-emergent orthopedic injury care. We treat all fractures including the upper extremity and lower extremity, pelvis, acetabulum and other bones and joints, isolated fractures/dislocations, and polytrauma. Also, other conditions related to complications of orthopedic trauma such as nonunions (fractures that fail to heal) and malunions (fractures that heal with a deformity) requiring deformity correction are also managed by our team of specialists.
In addition to:
- Trauma surgical & critical care
- Laboratory needs
- Radiology and Interventional radiology services
- Diagnostic services, including X-ray, CT, and MRI's
- Surgical residency
When You Arrive at Our Trauma Center
Conveniently located and easy to access, our Emergency Department offers designated rooms for trauma services and devoted rooms for children’s emergent care. Upon your arrival, a severely-injured trauma patient will go directly to one of our fully-equipped, dedicated trauma bays housed in a special treatment area of the Emergency Department.
Through prompt evaluation and resuscitation, using state-of-the-art equipment, life-threatening injuries can be diagnosed rapidly and immediately treated under the direction of one of our Board-certified trauma surgeons. When necessary, the patient can be transported within minutes to the operating room.
Trauma Support Network
The TSN was developed by the American Trauma Society, the leading organization advocating for the injured and their families. The goal of the TSN is to help trauma patients and their families connect and rebuild their lives. The TSN is committed to:
- Providing valuable, practical information and referrals
- Connecting survivors with peer mentors and support groups
- Enhancing survivor skills to manage day to day challenges
- Developing on-line communities of support and hope for trauma patients and their families
- Training health care providers to deliver the best care and support to patients and their families.
Melissa Tells Her Story
"I trusted Dr. Oppenheim. He came into the room confident."- Melissa Read story