Head and Neck Cancer Treatment at Garnet Health
A diagnosis of head or neck cancer requires expert care utilizing the most advanced techniques. Turn to the skilled specialists in the Head and Neck Cancer Program at Garnet Health. Our multidisciplinary team provides a full spectrum of specialized care for various cancers of the head and neck.
We’re here to help you cope and thrive. From preventive screenings and support groups to our innovative clinical trials, Garnet Health provides comprehensive care for head and neck cancers. At Garnet Health, we treat the following types of head and neck cancers:
Types of Head and Neck Cancer
Cancers collectively known as head and neck cancers usually develop in the squamous cells that line the moist surfaces in your mouth, nose or throat. After undergoing abnormal changes, these cells may begin to grow uncontrollably and form tumors.
Head and neck cancers are classified based on their site of origin, such as the:
- Oral cavity, including your lips, tongue, hard palate, gums and the floor of your mouth
- Oropharynx, including the base of your tongue, tonsils and soft palate
- Larynx (voice box)
- Pharynx (upper throat immediately below your mouth and nasal cavity)
- Nasopharynx (uppermost part of your pharynx)
- Hypopharynx (lower throat)
- Nasal cavity
- Paranasal sinuses
- Parotid, submandibular and minor salivary glands
Head & Neck Cancer Support
As part of our support services, we offer a Head & Neck Cancer Patient Navigator to help patients through their cancer journey. We also offer an Oral, Head & Neck Support Group. Click below to learn more about these support services:
Head and Neck Cancer Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
The signs of head and neck cancer can vary depending on the region affected. Possible symptoms include:
- A mouth sore that does not heal
- Red or white patches in your mouth or throat
- A lump or thickening in your mouth, jaw or neck
- Pain, numbness or muscle weakness in your face or neck
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing or moving your jaw
- Voice changes, hoarseness or difficulty speaking
- Frequent nosebleeds
- Chronic nasal congestion
- Ear pain or hearing loss
- Sore throat
- Unexplained weight loss
Although the precise causes of head and neck cancer are not fully understood, the majority of cases are linked to tobacco use and/or excessive alcohol consumption. Other factors that may increase your risk of developing head or neck cancer include prolonged sun exposure and poor oral hygiene. Researchers are also investigating a possible link between the human papillomavirus (HPV), which is sexually transmitted, and head and neck cancers.
There are several ways to treat head and neck cancer, including:
- Head or neck surgery to remove the tumor
- Radiation treatment delivered to your head or neck, using high-energy beams such as X-rays to destroy cancerous cells
- Chemotherapy drugs, which can destroy cancerous cells that have spread throughout your body
- Radioactive iodine therapy (for thyroid cancer)
The right treatment or combination of treatments for you will depend on the stage of your cancer and where it began.
Specialty Care Close to Home
At Garnet Health, we expertly offer advanced head and neck cancer treatments, including new alternatives to traditional chemotherapy and radiation therapy that more precisely target cancer cells while sparing healthy cells. Our surgeons are skilled in utilizing the latest minimally invasive techniques as well as performing complex open-surgical procedures. We are also leaders in developing promising new treatments through our innovative clinical trials performed here in the Hudson Valley. Our goal is to craft a cancer treatment plan that helps you achieve the best possible outcome and quality of life.
Garnet Health provides comprehensive diagnostic, treatment and supportive care services for head and neck cancers in Orange and Sullivan Counties, including Middletown, Harris and Callicoon, NY.
Cancer Treatment Services
Our goal is to provide excellent clinical care and support for the whole person—we are here to help in the journey from cancer patient to cancer survivor.Learn More
Patient Information & Resources
We provide a variety of patient resources online regarding your patient rights, billing, and more - so you can get a jump start on your stay or appointment.View Resources
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940
68 Harris Bushville Road
Harris, NY 12742