Garnet Health offers physical therapy at locations throughout Orange and Sullivan Counties.Search Locations
Physical Therapy at Garnet Health
Physical therapy is a branch of rehabilitation that uses specially designed exercises and equipment to help patients regain or improve their physical abilities, reduce pain and restore mobility.
Our compassionate physical therapists can help people at any stage of life, when movement and function are threatened by ageing, injury, diseases, disorders, conditions or environmental factors. We will evaluate your condition and create a customized treatment program that restores function and mobility and assesses your progress. The most common diagnoses that can be treated with physical therapy are orthopedic conditions such as:
- Total joint replacements
- Sports injuries
- Post-operative recovery
- Back and neck conditions
- Neurological conditions including stroke, traumatic brain injury, lymphedema and vestibular
In many cases, physical therapists can be effective in teaching patients how to manage their condition and prevent further strain. This allows the patient to achieve a variety of health benefits in the long-term, as well as potentially avoid expensive surgery or long-term use of medication for pain management.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Locations
Garnet Health offers rehabilitation services in Orange and Sullivan counties from high-quality, compassionate rehabilitation specialists in Middletown, Harris and Callicoon, NY.
Physical Therapy Treatment
Our physical therapists' focus is on providing identification, prevention, relief and rehabilitation of physical dysfunction or pain for our patients, with emphasis on movement dysfunction. We initiate all our treatment plans with an in-depth evaluation of the patient's condition, symptoms and goals. We then cultivate a customized treatment plan that will include the therapeutic application of physical agents, exercise and transfer / walking training as well as other procedures to maximize functional independence.
The most common physical therapy treatments used include, but are not limited to:
- Exercise - Exercise plans are usually established for physical therapy treatment. Depending on your condition, your physical therapist many determine a variety of movement and activities designed to improve flexibility, strength, coordination and endurance. In our outpatient facilities we have an array of work out equipment that may be used during your therapy, including weights, yoga balls, treadmills, exercise bands, and much more.
- Manual Therapy - Manual therapy is a general term that encompasses a few kinds of techniques designed to increased flexibility, decrease pain, and encourage muscle relaxation. This can include massaging the affected area, which is very effective in muscle relations and encouraging circulation in the effect area. Our therapists may also try applying pressure with their hands to help loosen tight tissues or conduct a controlled manipulation of joints and bones through twisting and pulling them into position.
- Icing - During your treatment, our physical therapists may apply ice or cooling lotions to the affected area to relieve pain, inflammation and swelling. They may also encourage you to ice the area at home in between treatment sessions.
- Heating - Apply heat to the affected area can be very effective in helping your muscles and soft tissue relax and heal by increasing blood circulation and reducing stiffness. Average therapy sessions last approximately 30-60 minutes and generally patients can expect to have about 2-3 appointments times per week for as long as 6-12 weeks.
Education will also play a significant role in your physical therapy treatment. Your therapist will likely show you some exercises to do at home in between sessions or for after your therapy appointments have concluded. The goal is to teach patients how to perform their daily tasks safety, protect their joints, and avoid future injury or reinjury. Over the course of time, patients will learn to develop, maintain and restore their maximum movement and functional ability.
Schedule an Appointment
The professionals at Garnet Health provide rehabilitation services personally tailored to your needs and goals. If you’re looking for outpatient lymphedema therapy in Orange and Sullivan counties, call us to learn more about our rehabilitation services:
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Center at Garnet Health Medical Center: 845-333-7300
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Center at Garnet Health Medical Center - Catskills, Harris & Callicoon: 845-794-3300 x 2139
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear?
In general, we encourage our patients to wear comfortable clothing to their therapy sessions. If you are coming straight from work or on your way to work, you can bring whatever you like to wear with you and change here if needed.
What are modalities?
Our physical therapists use a variety of modalities to help treat our patients. There are a variety of treatment modalities that can help strengthen, relax, and heal muscles. Below are a few of the treatment modalities we use at our clinic.
- Hot Packs
- Cold Packs
- Tens Unit
What should I bring to my first appointment?
For your first visit you will need your insurance card and prescription from your doctor. If you have any operative reports, MRI or X-ray results, you may bring those as well, but they are not necessary. Additionally, if you are using any type of brace, splint, or crutches, those should come with you.
How long is each session?
Generally, sessions can last between 30 minutes to an hour.
How often should I attend?
During your initial evaluation, your therapist will be able to tell you the optimal frequency to come, in accordance with your diagnosis, physician's plan of care and insurance coverage.
Will my insurance cover therapy?
Most insurance companies do cover these services, but coverage varies. Depending on what insurance you have, coverage may be dependent on a physiciall referral. We suggest you call your insurance company before hand to see if you require a referral.
Garnet Health is a participating provider in many health plan networks. You can find a list of the plans in which we participate - listed below.View Plans
Outpatient Rehabilitation Center at Garnet Health Medical Center - Catskills, Harris
68 Harris Bushville Road
Harris, NY 12742
Outpatient Rehabilitation Center at Garnet Health Medical Center
75 Crystal Run Road
Middletown, NY 10941
Outpatient Rehabilitation Center at Garnet Health Medical Center - Catskills, Callicoon
8881 Route 97
Callicoon, NY 12723