Stomach Cancer Treatment at Garnet Health
Being diagnosed with stomach cancer (gastric cancer) is a life-changing experience that may leave you feeling overwhelmed and uncertain. At Garnet Health you’ll receive tailored treatment and comprehensive, compassionate support from cancer experts devoted to helping you achieve the best possible outcome.
Garnet Health oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and other professionals work collaboratively to develop multidisciplinary care plans, which can include robotic-assisted surgery, targeted radiation therapy, trailblazing clinical trials and other leading-edge therapies. Our team also features patient navigators and palliative care specialists who will walk you through the various changes that a stomach cancer diagnosis can bring and clearly communicate what you can expect throughout the treatment process.
Stomach Cancer Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Stomach cancer rarely causes symptoms in its early stages. As the cancer progresses, the following symptoms can occur:
- Trouble swallowing
- Feeling unusually full after eating
- Abdominal bloating
- Unexplained weight loss
- Belly pain, often above the navel
- Bloody or dark-colored stools
The specific causes of stomach cancer are not fully understood. However, several risk factors that can increase the likelihood of developing stomach cancer have been identified. They include:
- A diet high in salty and smoked foods and low in fruits and vegetables
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gastritis (stomach inflammation)
- Men are at a greater risk
- A family history of stomach cancer
- A Helicobacter pylori infection
Stomach cancer is a rare condition, but it’s important to be mindful of symptoms if you have one or more stomach cancer risk factors. It’s also possible to develop stomach cancer without having any known risk factors.
Stomach cancer treatment often focuses on slowing the spread of cancer and relieving symptoms. The most common treatments for stomach cancer include:
- Surgery to remove tumors, a portion of the stomach or the entire stomach
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy to shrink tumors and kill cancer cells
- Targeted therapy to disrupt the processes that contribute to cancer growth
- Palliative care to ease side effects of cancer and its treatment, making you more comfortable
Garnet Health provides specialized stomach cancer treatment to patients in Orange County, Sullivan County and nearby communities.
Cancer Treatment Services
Our goal is to not only provide excellent clinical care, but to provide support for the whole person—we are here to help in the journey from cancer patient to cancer survivor.Learn More
Patient Information & Resources
We provide a variety of patient resources online regarding your patient rights, billing, so you can get a jump start on your stay or appointment.View Resources
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940
68 Harris Bushville Road
Harris, NY 12742