Bladder Cancer Treatment at Garnet Health
Garnet Health understands that being diagnosed with bladder cancer can be life-changing. Our skilled, experienced doctors carefully walk patients through every step of the care process, providing expertise and clearly communicating what you can expect throughout your diagnosis, treatment and aftercare. As our patient, you’ll always have somewhere to turn for the expert guidance and compassionate support you need to achieve your best physical and emotional well-being.
Bladder cancer, the fourth-most common cancer among men, is usually highly treatable when diagnosed at an early stage. That’s why our bladder cancer treatment team is by your side from first symptom to treatment planning. This support contributes to positive health outcomes and helps patients gain control at a time of stress and discomfort.
The specialized treatment for bladder cancer you need, close to home. Learn about bladder cancer, its treatment options and how Garnet Health Medical Center provides exceptional cancer care to patients in the Orange County and Sullivan County, NY, area.
Bladder Cancer Symptoms & Treatment
The earliest and most common symptom of bladder cancer is usually blood in the urine. Other symptoms include:
- A frequent or strong urge to urinate, even when the bladder is empty.
- Pain or burning sensations while urinating.
- Difficulty urinating or an unusually weak urine stream.
The exact causes of bladder cancer are not fully understood. However, several factors that may increase bladder cancer risk include:
- Frequent exposure to certain chemicals, such as those found in paints and dyes
- Advanced age (most cases occur in adults over 55)
- A family history of bladder cancer
- Chronic bladder infections
Almost all cases of bladder cancer begin in the urothelial cells that line the inside of the bladder (this is called urothelial carcinoma). Less commonly, chronic bladder irritation may lead to a bladder cancer known as squamous cell carcinoma.
Each patient’s optimum bladder cancer treatment will vary, but many treatment approaches include a combination of:
- Surgery to remove tumors or affected portions of the bladder
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy to destroy cancer cells
- Intravesical therapy to deliver cancer-fighting medication into the bladder
- Supportive care to help improve quality of life during treatment
If you’ve been diagnosed with bladder cancer and live in the Orange County and Sullivan County area, you don’t need to travel far or trek into New York City to find a comprehensive cancer treatment facility. Garnet Health’s multidisciplinary approach to bladder cancer treatment, conveniently available close to home, provides integrated, multidisciplinary care plans tailored for each patient. Learn more about our treatment protocols, bladder cancer specialists, advanced equipment and cancer care team today.
Garnet Health provides comprehensive cancer care in communities throughout Orange and Sullivan Counties.